Thursday 26 May 2016

Nice ornament for my vanity, but DE razor blades are just dangerous.

I struggled on the review for this since the razor itself seems very nice, but the included blades are not. Luckily I have a good support network around me or else people would think I was starting cutting and in need of some help after using one of these blades.

The razor has a nice weight to it, much heavier than your standard cartridge style razor for those making the transition. Nicely balanced overall and a pretty clean finish to it. The gun metal color and finish are much nicer than the flashy chrome on some razors. I have no idea why someone needs something that looks like a piece of bling to scrape whispers off their face.

The butterfly open/close mechanism is solid. No idea about the folks who had issues, maybe they have trouble opening pickle jars as well.

But those razor blades. Wow are they bad. It appears you have two choices of how to apply the blade to face and shave with them, the first one resembles something along the lines of that 7th blade on the SNL 10 blade razor add, not even sure that it comes close to anything, and then the second approach. Somehow the blade manages to cut my face and leave the other areas stinging while leaving most of the razor stubble in place. Maybe it's the razor opening, maybe it's the blades and this razor, not sure since it's my first try. Suffice it to say I can get a closer shave bullying my three month old 4 blade cartridge across my face with less irritation and less time than with one of these blades fresh out of the package.

Somewhere I read several times that shaving with a DE razor isn't about saving money, etc. Well, I can't find any reason to go back 100 years in innovation based on the quality of these blades. I have some others I plan on trying soon, so maybe that will help, but so far the experiment after a week of shaves is not going well.

But, sorry, anyone who looks forward to shaving have to be a masochist, and using these blades just confirms that. Buy, the razor if you must, but throw the blades away the moment they arrive. And, from what I can tell I might be able to get 5 unsatisfactory shaves from one of these blades before they are simply a weapon against my face. If that's how this works out for other blades, it will be much cheaper sticking with the $4 cartridges, but I'll also have to factor in the extra cost for the leeches so I can keep up my blood letting.

No comments:

Post a Comment