Friday 20 May 2016

Julian Vue Safety Razor Review

I started shaving when my father purchased a certain name brand cartridge razor that rhymes with "llusion." This tool served me well as I shaved fully a few times a week until my facial foliage blossomed into the full beard I have come to know and love. Eventually the time came where my tastes matured beyond cartridge razors and I decided to follow the path of my father's father in buying a more refined implement to wick away facial hair.
Enter the straight razor, one of the classical implements for shaving. With this path though there is much room for learning and error. I ended up choosing a safety razor to combine classical style and modern blade technology. Since switching to this safety razor and a quality shave soap, I have not experienced any of the typical razor burn and irritation I experienced with many different cartridge razors in the last seven years. While I still hone my knife edge with a nice whetstone, there is a certain reassurance in knowing I will not have to take a strop to this blade as I would with a straight razor, and in a simple elegant motion I can exchange a well-traveled edge for a fresh one.


More importantly than my personal preferences leading to this elegant grooming tool, how is the viking's blade compared to other options on the market? Why would you buy one? Well, the quality is spot on with other razors I have handled. The attack angle of the blade is fairly mild, meaning you can apply more pressure in a stroke without feeling as if you will easily pass through the dermis. The combing grooves just before your blade surface also help, especially with my bushy facial hair. The handle I thought may look cluttered with the pattern shown here but in person it is well thought out and allows you to grip the handle with confidence through shaving cream or soap. The weight is just right, balanced so that the handle falls gently into the hand. Using this blade is the same feeling as a full-tang knife passing through a target, bliss. The design has no integral flaws to speak of, purely mechanical butterfly action is satisfying and internal hardware leaves the profile unmarred as well.

I am pleased with the travel case as well, and I can only hope that the initial quality of this blade leads to a steadfast life as I plan to use it regularly and for a long time coming. Perhaps allowing my kin to learn the proper way to shave? Or am I getting ahead of myself...
I do apologize for the orientation of the picture, while I pride my self at adept use of hand tools, technology escapes me on this one.

Get your favorite blade here: 
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011L8WJIA

OR

http://www.julianvue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment