Tuesday 31 May 2016

Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor Review - Waste of Money

 had high hopes for the Merkur after more than 20 years using the Atra Plus. The Atra was/is a fantastic razor but the hassle of trying to find replacement blades got to be too much. So I figured a safety razor like the Merkur with readily available replacement blades from a host of suppliers would be just dandy. Not so. It may be that I should have opted for the Merkur without the safety blade protector rake but the fact is I just can't get a satisfactory shave from this thing. 

I've used it now for about 2 months and I'm really, really unhappy with it. I just cannot get an overall smooth shave. I followed all the recommendations including watching various videos about the correct ways to use it but no joy. First of all it takes me at least three times as long to finish a shave compared to the Atra and even after multiple passes with fresh shaving cream I end up with rough spots and even untouched spots. Trying to shave my upper lip or chin just doesn't work and trying to get a close shave along the jawbone- fergit it. Last night in frustration I used an Old Spice disposable razor that had been sitting on the shelf unused since I got my Merkur and, lo, I was done in a minute and my face felt great and was smooth as a baby's bottom!

Like I said earlier, perhaps the problem is the blade rake and maybe one of the Merkur's without a rake would work better for me. All I know is I'm out $34.95 for the razor and I still have over 50 Personna blades unused. For now I will use the Old Spice disposables and look for a source online to get more Atra Super replacements.

No comments:

Post a Comment